BEGINNING OF EDUCATIONAL ACTIVITIES
Educational services of Ramakrishna Mission Ashrama, Visakhapatnam started from its very inception. In 1941 a home for students was started. This activity continued at Tanuku in West Godavari district, where Ashrama was shifted during the World War II. When the Ashrama was shifted back after the war, in the year 1950, a Students’ Home building for poor and deserving students was started at the present site of the Ashrama. The Students’ Home building was opened on the 4 February. 1951 by swami Madhavananda Ji Maharaj, the then General Secretary of Ramakrishna Math and Ramakrishna Mission. The Students’ Home continued for some years.
In 1957, Hindustan Shipyard Limited requested the Ashrama to manage its higher elementary school with classes up to class five at Hindustan Shipyard. Due to certain administrative difficulties Ashrama could not continue the management of the Shipyard Elementary school and was handed back to them in 1960.
SRI SARADA BALA VIHAR
In the meantime in 1958 the Ashrama started “Sri Sarada Bala Vihar”, a pre-primary school in the residence of a devotee. The same was shifted to small thatched huts in the Collectorate campus in 1960. In the same year the Government allotted a piece of land adjacent to the Collectorate and the pre-primary school was upgraded to 5th standard. The first building to come up was in 1961. In 1963, Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan, the then President of India, inaugurated the Vivekananda Hall. Allotments of land by the Government in 1960 and subsequently in 1966-67, facilitated the construction of school buildings. The school was given permanent recognition by the State Government in the year 1966. The school became popular and expanded to upper primary school in the year 1988 and a new building was added.
RAMAKRISHNA MISSION HIGH SCHOOL
In the year 1993, “Sri Sarada Bala Vihar” was further upgraded to the High School and was renamed as Ramakrishna Mission High School. The High School was given State Government Recognition in the year 2011. Now it has grown into a government recognized English medium co-education school from Kindergarten to 10th standard with the strength of 850 students with a team of dedicated teachers and non-teaching staff. The school has well equipped computer lab, science laboratory and library, indoor games like table tennis, caroms, chess and a well trained School band. School also has value education classes to make our students future enlightened citizens. In the process of saving energy the whole school is run on Solar Energy. This year the School has converted all the class rooms into digital class rooms and also introduced virtual classes to enhance our school curriculum, thus bring appropriate technology into the class rooms to support and enhance the learning experience of students and professional development in our teachers too.
As the main motto of the School is to extend value based education to the needy in the field of education, they are given appropriate programs and co-curricular activities to build strong and virtuous character on ethical and patriotic values.